Provide information about the coronavirus (named COVID-19) IN ONE SINGLE PLACE, such as for example:
- NEWS updates (from many different outlets and for all kinds of conditions)
- DATA (easy to understand with nice graphics)
- FACTS and FABLES
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS about the Coronavirus (known as COVID-19).
- (CREW) TRAVEL & GOVERNEMENT information
Though it seems simple, but in a world of Social Media frenzy and multitude of News sources it’s difficult to get it right and I hope I can do just that.
I do not pretend that all content on this website is correct, however I’ll do my best to try and find the real/best answers. In addition I will not go into conspiracy theories!
Above all, I wish you to stay healthy and protect yourself as much as you can against this pandemic.
What is COVID-19?
- Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
- COVID-19 is an illness caused by a coronavirus that can spread from person to person.
- The virus that causes COVID-19 is a new.
- COVID-19 affects different people in different ways.
- Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.
Find out many of the answer to your questions in our FAQ section.
Symptoms for COVID-19 (one of our TOP Questions)
- Most common symptoms:
- fever (where your temperature is above 37.8C)
- dry cough (where you cough a lot for more than an hour, or have three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours)
- Less common symptoms:
- aches and pains
- sore throat
- loss of taste or smell
- a rash on skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes
- Serious symptoms:
- difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- chest pain or pressure
- loss of speech or movement
- On the 11th of march 2020 the WHO has declared the Coronavirus COVID-19 a pandemic. What seems to have started in the Chinese city of Wuhan (11 million people) in December 2019, has become a worldwide threat to our health. This is especially true for the elderly and people suffering from other diseases.
A timeline of events can be found at different sites :
- Aljazeera (timeline on a weekly basis with the most recent events on top)
- European Council (timeline on a daily basis from the European Union)
- Devex (also on a daily basis with some nice graphics for a community source)
- WHO (timeline from the World Health Organisation on a daily basis)
- NBC News (The only timeline that starts with the beginning on top, from a news agency so maybe somewhat biased, but complemented with nice graphic and pictures)
Find out many of the answer to your questions in our FAQ section.
Latest on COVID-19
Check our NEWS (from news sites, airlines, travel and governments) or DATA (with very nice and comprehensible figures and graphics per region or per country) pages for the latest news/data on COVID-19.
A lot of information on the website of the ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) about:
- clinical characteristics
- diagnostic testing and screening
- immune responses and immunity
- Research on Vaccines and (alternative) Treatments
As well as their latest DATA about COVID-19.
For the USA, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) provides most of the needed information.
In the end both of them inform you on how to #Staysafe and use preventive measures on the novel coronavirus COVID-19.
Johns Hopkins University | Channel News Asia | The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation
(current data and projections)
Links to different sections in this website
Besides our NEWS page on the novel coronavirus COVID-19, you can find dynamic news via:
Who am I?
- I am a 53 year young Dutch airline pilot and I travel the world on long haul flights.
- Lately, due to this virus, I have a bit of spare time to gather this information, as I thought it might be useful to others.
My own views (the only time I will give them probably on this website)
- So much information is scattered on the web, and in addition so much is “misinformation“, which makes it difficult to understand what is true or fake.
- Especially Social Media and conspiracy sites are popular in these times and people sometimes want to believe them as there is no other rationel explanation we humans need so much.
- Lockdown or no lockdown?
- As it will maybe proven by some countries that a lockdown is/was not necessary, I think though that it greatly depends on the attitude and culture of the people living in that country, as well as the region to which it applies.
- Some countries like Sweden or the USA for example have a very low population density (22/km2 and 35/km2 respectively), whilst other have a very high density like The Netherlands (409/km2) and thus the latter has more risks for a rapid spreading of the virus because people live closer to each other.
- On the other hand this also applies to cities of the world. It is therfore not strange that the most visited cities by tourists are amongst the hardest hit by the coronavirus. In the top ten cities visited in Europe (in the correct order) you will find London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Milan, Venice and Madrid and they are all amongst the hardest hit. It is of no surprise to me that for the USA, where the most visited cities by tourists are New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Diego and San Francisco, those are also amongst the hardest hit.
- Initially the world was limited by hospital resources, but slowly we will go back to normal and we will have to accept that death is part of our lives and we should not try to prevent it by “all” means, especially at elder age. This seems hard to say, but what I see now and which makes me so sad, is that old people DIE ALONE because of corona, whilst in my view the most important in those last moments of life is to be with the ones you love the most!
- Vaccines are coming and being distributed. Some countries faster than others and we seem to forget the poorer countries that desperately will be needing this vaccine as well. When will the big Pharma companies finally realise that there is more than make absurd amounts of money from such a global pandemic as this one. I may sincerely hope that there are still some good people in that industry and will think more about life than money…
In short, I hope that I can contribute, even if it is only a little bit, in making this time easier.
Wishing you all good health, love and stay safe.